Healthcare Insurance

  • page print
  • page download

Healthcare Insurance

The Korean government offers healthcare insurance to everybody in the country and allocates, to every regional government, some portion of the budget for healthcare services. You pay just 30 percent of the doctor’s bill, and the remaining 70 percent is covered by the National Health Insurance Corporation.

Foreigners can also enjoy the benefits of healthcare services. Foreign workers are required to subscribe to the healthcare system and pay some portion of their salary to the system.

Those without legal status of sojourn may face problems. They may suffer from health problems because they often forgo seeing a doctor. If you find yourself in a similar situation, please do not hesitate to visit one of the institutions that help foreign workers and ask for help.

Who is eligible for healthcare insurance?
Those who reside in Korea with an F1 visa, and his or her spouse and children.
Those who have any of the visas stipulated below and their spouse and children (under age 20 and who have lived in Korea for more than one year): D-1 (Culture/art), D-2 (Student), D-3 (Industrial Trainees), D-4 (General Trainees), D-5 (Resident Correspondents), D-6 (Religion), D-7 (Resident Officials), D-8 (Investment), D-9 (Trade), E1 (Professors), E-2 (Foreign Language Teachers), E-3 (Researchers), E-4 (Those teaching Technology or Engineering), E-5 (Professional Leaseholders), E-7 (Foreigners with Special Ability), E-8 (Those who hire Industrial Trainees)
Foreigners with an F-2 visa
Overseas Koreans who have foreign citizenship and reside in Korea (F-4)
Required Conditions:
1. In case the deadline conditions are met
  • After someone completes their alien registration
  • Those who meet all the requirements will become eligible for the services after alien registration (Foreigners) and resident registration (Overseas Koreans) are both completed
2. Application Process
  • Visit the National Health Insurance Corporation in your region.
  • Submit a copy of your alien registration card or documents that prove your residence in Korea.
  • If you have any income during your residence in Korea, submit a document that proves this.
  • Students should submit a certificate of student enrollment.
When does your insurance become invalid?
When you leave Korea permanently or your status of sojourn expires.
When your current place of employment provides it. When you are covered by another family member’s insurance.
When you do not pay the insurance premium until one day after your pay day.
Insurance Premium:
30 percent discounted premium: Foreigners who have a certain amount of regular income, foreigners with unverifiable or irregular incomes 〔D-1 visa (Culture/art), D-4 visa (General Trainees) and students.
Same Premium as Korean Citizens: Foreigners who have no income or whose income is too complex to calculate suitable insurance premium rates, who permanently reside in Korea (visiting their families or living with their families) shall pay an insurance premium based on their current income and property.
How to Pay the Insurance Premium:
Foreigners must pay the insurance premium 3 months in advance. (In other words, you must pay a retroactive premium for the first three months)
Those who permanently reside in Korea are exceptions to this rule.
National Health Insurance Corporation
For any further questions on the health insurance program or the location of the National Health Insurance Corporation, please visit
The National Health Insurance Corporation 1577-1000

Division in Charge : Welfare&Health Bureau Health Policy Division

Contact : +82-62-613-3322