Acquisition of a Driver’s License
Those wishing to drive a car must acquire a driver’s license issued by regional police agencies.
Foreigners who want to drive a car in Korea need to acquire at the least a second-class general license for passenger vehicles.
You will get a driver’s license after passing a driver’s license test.
The purpose of the test is to check your knowledge of traffic rules and laws, along with your ability to drive.
By studying at a drive license academy, you can acquire the knowledge and abilities that will be tested during the licensing test.
The driver’s license test includes a written knowledge test, a driving skill test and a driving skill road test.
- Qualifications: Those over age 18 and who have lived in Korea for more than 6 months.
- Application / Issuance: At any of the 26 Driver’s License Test Offices in Korea.
- Languages: Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese
- Expiration: Seven years (Those who are 65 and over need to renew their driver’s license every 5 years)
- Required documents: Passport or alien registration card, 4 photos (3X4cm.).
- Physical Check-ups
- Physical check-ups cost 5,000 won. The physical check-up can be replaced if carrying the original copy of health medical examination statement within 2 years.
- Written Knowledge Test
- Social security card, passport or certificate of alien registration, 2 photos (3X4m.), 7,500 won of examination fees (examination with a PC Department)
- Driving Skills Test
- Resident registration card, passport or alien registration card, test application form, exam fee of 15,000 won
- Issue Temporary Driver's License]
- 3,500 won (valid for 1 year)
- Driving Road Test
- Social security card, passport or certificate of alien registration, 25,000 won for examination fees
Conversion of Foreign Driver’s Licenses
If a foreigner who possesses a driver’s license legally is issued by a foreign institution and the person wants to drive in Korea, he or she must convert their driver’s license into a Korean license.
- Required Documents
- The driver’s license issued in the individual’s home country, alien registration card, seal (or signature), 3 photos (3X4cm.), letter of guarantee for the translated driver’s license (English is an exception) and a confirmation letter from the person's Embassy (The U.S., the U.K., France, Canada, Germany, Japan and Spain).
※You must bring a passport and driver’s license issued by the same country. If there is no written date of issuance on your driver’s license, you must submit a document that proves the date.
- Koreans with foreign nationality must prove their residence in Korea.
Koreans who have a legal resident card issued by a foreign government need to submit their resident card or overseas Korean card, both of which shall show his or her Korean nationality.
- Things to Remember
- You must submit the documents stipulated above in person, not by proxy.
◎ Driver’s License Agency Call Center: 1577-1120
- Other Information: Find out where the test can be taken by visiting the website of the Driver’s License Agency http://www.koroad.or.kr/en_web/index.do
Division in Charge : Public Transport Division at the Transport & Construction Bureau
Contact : +82-62-613-4514