Multi-cultural Families

  • page print
  • page download

Laws for Immigrants Married to Korean Nationals

Laws for immigrants married to Korean nationals Requirements and necessary documents for acquiring Korean nationality Support Institutions

The National Basic Life Security Law
Item 2 in Article 5 (Special law for Foreigners) Among foreigners residing in Korea, those married with Korean citizens that they or his spouses are pregnant, raising under-aged children with Korean nationality and also stays or resides with linear ascendants with Korean nationality relevant to the Article 5 (a range of beneficiaries) determined by the Korean president, become the beneficiaries.
One Parent Family Support Law
Article 10 (Special provisions for foreigners): One Parent Family Support Law (Hereinafter referred to as “Law”). In accordance with the 3rd paragraph of Clause 2 of Article 5, those who are subject to special support refers to a foreigner who is married to a Korean national, resides in Korea, has children with Korean nationality and is registered as a foreigner according to Article 31 of the 「Immigration Law」.
Emergency Livelihood Support Lawr
This law is intended to swiftly support those in need facing dangerous situations and to help them stay out of danger and lead meaningful and healthy lives as humans.
Article 5 (Those for urgent aid) Those eligible for application by this law are people under dangerous situations and hence are in need of urgent aid (hereinafter referred to as "those in need of urgent aid"). Item 2 in Article 5 (Special law for foreigners) Foreigners staying in Korea that are determined by the president and also relevant to Article 5 become those eligible for applications of urgent aid.
National Health Insurance Act
This law is intended to improve national health and also for social security by providing insurance benefits on prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation against diseases or injuries of that nation as well as the birth, death and health promotions.
Article 109 (Special Law for Foreigners)
  1. ① The government can separately determine the health insurance of laborers at the work place that governments in foreign countries are users according to negotiations with foreign governments.
  2. ② Foreigners staying in Korea and foreigners determined by the presidential order become members or dependents applied with this law regardless of regulations in Article 5.
Insurance for Married Immigrants
1. Job-related Insurances:
  • If the immigrant’s husband already holds job-related insurances, the immigrant can be added as a dependent family member to the husband’s national health insurance. The required documents are to be submitted by the husband to the National Health Insurance Corporation
  • If the immigrant woman is the only member in her family to hold job-related insurances, she will automatically be enlisted if her workplace provides health insurances for its employees. She is required to submit her Alien Registration Card to her workplace.
2. Local Insurances:
  • If neither the immigrant woman nor her husband holds any job-related insurances, the immigrant woman may apply for local insurances.
  • The applicant must apply at the local National Health Insurance Corporation office with her Alien Registration Card.
Contact: Gwangju Branch of the Bureau of National Health Insurance
Civil Affairs Office: 1577-1000

Criteria and Required Documents for Acquiring Korean Citizenship

Eligibility for Simplified Naturalization (i.e., Foreign Women Immigrating to Korea for Marriage)


The applicant must be of the legal age defined by the civil law of the Republic of Korea.
The applicant must maintain a presentable appearance and behavior.
The applicant’s living in Korea must be supported, either by the applicant’s own wealth or capacities or by the family members in Korea on whom she is dependent.
The applicant must have basic knowledge, skills and virtues required of Korean citizens, including a proficiency in the Korean language and an adequate understanding of Korean culture and customs
- Additional Clauses (Section 6, Articles 2.1 and 2.2 of the Nationality & Citizenship Act): Those married to foreigners holding Korean citizenship may apply, provided that they meet one of the following criteria points:
The applicant has been married to the said spouse and living at a permanent domicile in the Republic of Korea for 2 years or longer;
  • The applicant has filed a marriage certificate in an overseas jurisdiction and has been living in Korea for 2 consecutive years or longer since the last date of entry.
The applicant has been married to the said spouse for 3 years or longer and has maintained a permanent domicile for 1 year or longer in the Republic of Korea.
Criteria for Residency

Section 5 of the Enforcement Regulations for the Nationality & Citizenship Act provides the following criteria for the applicant’s residency in the Republic of Korea:

The period of legal residency of an applicant shall include the entire period of time he/she has resided in Korea since entering the country and obtaining alien registration in the legitimate manner. Applicants who meet one of the following criteria shall be regarded as having resided in Korea without any interruptions or absences, and their period of legal residency shall include the entire period of time dating from their points of entry (except the periods of time they spent overseas after leaving Korea):
  • Those who were granted permissions to re-enter Korea during their stay in this country, exited Korea and re-entered within the valid period of time specified by the permissions:
  • Those who temporarily exited Korea because they could not provide legitimate reasons for extending their stay in this country, and who re-entered Korea within one month of leaving by obtaining the permission for re-entry.
Place of Application
Nationality Division at the Border Control Office.
Keep in mind when applying
While it is required of the applicant to prove to the authorities the legitimacy of his or her marital relationship status by appearing with his or her spouse, if his or her spouse cannot attend the occasion, the applicant may apply by submitting a piece of official I.D. of his or her spouse.

※ The applicant must provide a written statement detailing the reasons of his or her spouse’s absence (e.g., the doctor’s note if the spouse is hospitalized at the time of application).

Required Documents for Naturalization

※ Additional documents may be required, or some of the required documents may be omitted, as is necessary in the process of review.

One copy of the application form for the Naturalization Permit and one photocopy of the passport;
Proof of the family relation status with the Korean spouse, basic proofs, proofs of marital status and a transcript of the resident’s registration;
Financial proof (guaranteeing the applicant’s or his/her family members’ ability to support the applicant’s living in Korea), which may include one of the following:
  • A bank balance statement showing a deposit of 30 million won or more, from an account held under the applicant’s name or the name of a family member co-habiting with the applicant;
  • A copy of the house lease or a transcript of the real estate property ledger equivalent to 30 million won in value or greater;
  • A copy of the employment certificate (along with a photocopy of the business registration of the employer);
  • A certificate of the planned employment to take place (but not financial guarantees).
A copy of the proof showing the applicant’s family relationship status, including the applicant’s parents, the spouse, dependent children, marital (or unmarried) status and adoptee status. (Chinese applicants are required to submit copies of their family census registry; alternatively, if their family census registry does not display their relationship to their parents or other relatives, they must submit the Certificates of Family Relationship Status).
Chinese applicants of the Korean descent are required to write their names in the Korean-style pronunciation and not the local pronunciation. They are also required to submit official certificates issued by the authorities of the People’s Republic of China attesting to their Korean descent.
If the applicant has changed his/her official date of birth, he/she must submit a certificate issued by the embassy or consulate of his/her country of origin.
A copy of the Report on Family Relationship Status
Application Processing Fee: 100,000 won (to be paid for a governmental receipt seal).

※ All documents written in languages other than Korean must be translated into Korean and notarized. Documents written in either English or Chinese, however, need to be translated into Korean but not notarized. (In these cases the name and contact information of the translator must be provided.)

◎ For further inquiries, please visit our website. []

Local Administrative Agencies Providing Assistance for Multicultural Households

Regional administrative offices support various programs designed to help blended-culture families. These programs include Korean language, Korean culture, counseling, employment and counseling for business start-ups.

Social Service Department in Gwangju (+82-62-613-3241)

Women and Children Welfare Division at Seo-gu, Gwangju (+82-62-360-7153)

Women and Children Welfare Division at Nam-gu, Gwangju (+82-62-607-3541)

Women and Children Welfare Division at Buk-gu, Gwangju (+82-62-410-8279)

Women and Children Caring Division at Gwangsan-gu, Gwangju (+82-960-8469)

Urgent Support and Counseling Institutions

Woman Migrant Human Rights Center
A Non-Governmental Organization established to enhance human rights and welfare of migrant women in Korea
4th Floor 178-68 Sungin-dong Jongno-gu Seoul City TEL +82-2-3672-8988, +82-2-3672-7559 (Telephone number for counseling)
Migrated Women Emergency Support Center [Korean language:] TEL: +82-62-367-1577
Provides counseling and emergency support services to migrant women (In 5 languages)
Provide services in connection with relevant Institutions (1577-1366) (In 8 languages)
Counseling Services for Multicultural Families
[] +82-62-380-4500 (09:00~18:00)
Seminars and workshops on multicultural education.
Provides educational support programs (classes in the Korean language, informatization and cultural experiences).
Develops textbooks and educational materials in preparation for a multicultural society.
Participates in research activities regarding multicultural society.
Multi-cultural Family Support Center
Multi-cultural family support center at Seo-gu in Gwangju 385-20 Yang 3-dong, Seo-gu(+82-62-369-0073)
Multi-cultural family support center at Nam-gu, Gwangju 962-2 Wonsan-dong, Nam-gu (+82-62-351-5432)
Multi-cultural family support center at Buk-gu, Gwangju 633-1 Yangsan-dong, Buk-gu(+82-62-363-2963)
Multi-cultural support center at Gwangsan-gu, Gwangju 802-4 Songjeong-dong, Gwangsan-gu, Gwangju(+82-62-954-8004)
Family health support center at Dong-gu, Gwangju 901-72 Hak-dong Dong-gu,(+82-62-234-5790)

NGOs and Other Civil Organizations for Multicultural Family Support in Gwangju:

Rainbow Multicultural Family (Inc.) (+82-62-224-8279)
Multicultural Family Sarang Center (Inc) (+82-62-514-5184)
Multicultural Family Welfare Center (Inc) (+82-62-234-1232)
Hope Tree (Inc) (+82-62-675-7118)
Multicultural Family Welfare Society (Inc)(+82-62-528-4279)
Dahari (Inc.) (+82-62-224-5020)
Eoulim (Inc.) (+82-62-676-8877)
Hanul (Inc.) (+82-62-236-3536)
Gruteogi (Inc.) (+82-62-682-0191)
Gwangju Multicultural Support Network Council (070-7516-6683)
Hatteuneun Multicultural Family Welfare Center (+82-62-222-4446)
Gwangju Immigrant Women Support Center (+82-70-7502-6797)
Deobureo Sup (+82-62-383-7466)
Special Joint Public-Private Sector Support Taskforce for Multicultural Families (+82-62-263-2252)
The World’s Most Beautiful Tree (070-8807-8216)
Yeolbang Damunhwa (+82-70-7533-5591)

Division in Charge : Social Welfare Division

Contact : +82-62-613-3241